Monday, May 14, 2012

Garden/Family Home Evening


The prophet said to plant a garden so that's what we'll do...
We were finally able to get out garden ready. Thanks to my dad's tiller (small but mighty).


Then men took turns tilling and raking. Charly didn't want to help at first, she wanted to play with friends, but by the time we were done she seemed grateful.

Charly help take found snails to the street to face their doom (in case you were unaware, never smash them in your yard, they multiply), empty week buckets and even rake a little too.

I worked on cleaning lumber pieces from garden area (removing snails) and putting wood behind the dog run, where they belong. I also weeded between the bricks and the edges where the tiller couldn't get to.

We enjoyed Pumpkin Chocolate Chips Cookies for our FHE treat. We discussed our need to obey our leaders as even our stake president encouraged us to plant gardens.

This year we are growing broccoli, carrots, summer squash, peas, cucumbers, radishes, melons, peppers (sweet), lettuce, chard, spinach, bush beans, zucchini, tomatoes, pumpkins and gourds.

Charly asked if she could have a small part to call Charly's Farm. Absolutely don't want to burst her balloon. YES YOU CAN!

I was also able to plant some raspberries starts my mom got from my late Grandma Bennett's home when we were there for the funeral. My grandma was known for her garden.


Here's the recipe for you to try. Let me know how you like them.

Pumpkin Cookies:

1 1/4 cups flour (i used wheat)
2 t. baking powder
1/4 c. oil
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
1/2 c. canned pumpkin
1/2 t. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped nuts (optional)
1/2 t. lemon extract
1/2 c. mini chocolate chips

Sift dry ingredients together and set aside. Cream oil and sugar until well blended: stir in flour mixture until moistened. Stir in egg, pumpkin, vanilla, nuts, lemon extract and choc. chips; drop by teaspoons or scoops* onto cookies sheet covered with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.


The recipe comes from this fabulous book that I got when I left home.


_ylt=A2KJkev.h7FPN1YAwL6jzbkF.jpg
page 194. I used oil instead of shortening, and chocolate chips instead of raisins.

* I used a scoop I got through:
If you don't have someone to order from I have friends who do. Send me an email.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment