Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Beautiful

I love getting new ideas of things I can make myself. Here is a DIY Facial Soap I wanted to share from Frugally Sustainable.com


Sustainable Beauty: DIY Facial Soap

Beauty.
No matter how old or young we are, a woman wants to be beautiful. I’ve heard it said that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder.”
From the tribes of Africa…

…to the henna designs of a wedding in India…

…to the Hiwi of Venezuela…

…women have embraced sustainable beauty. Using those things indigenous to their surroundings, they have created and defined beauty for themselves.
Unfortunately, in our modern societies consumer marketing and commercial companies understand our quest for beauty and have taken advantage of this truth. Shelves are flooded with countless products to meet any need; begging you to consume, promising the solution you are hoping for.
I can’t even think about the money I’ve spent on beauty products! It’ll make me nauseous! And guess what, I still battle the same skin problems! So, I’m done with it all. I’m making my own and coming to peace with who God made me to be (smile).
I want to share with you a very frugal recipe for DIY Facial Soap.

DIY Facial Soap Recipe
Base
-2 ounces of grated bar soap (or liquid castile soap)
-2 cups of hot water
-5 drops Tea Tree Oil
Directions: Add soap to water and stir to melt. Then add tea tree oil and suitable skin type add-ins.
Suitable Skin Type Add-Ins
Oily: substitute 4 ounces of water for witch hazel, sage, rosemary
Acne: two aspirins crushed into powder, increase tea tree oil to 15 drops
Dry: honey, glycerin, aloe vera, nettle, or St. John’s Wort
Sensitive: calendula, comfrey, chamomile
Antibacterial: birch, cinnamon, eucalyptus
Tips:
-Lavender is beneficial for all skin types.
-You may choose to include these above listed herbs by infusing them into the hot water prior to adding the soap in the base recipe.
-You may also add them in the form of a few drops of essential oils.
The following books were used as references for making this recipe: Rosemary Gladstar’s Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health, Make Your Place.

You can get castile soap at health food stores, Sunflower Markets and online.





Tea Tree oil is the same as Melaleuca Oil and you can get this from me.



No comments:

Post a Comment