Monday, June 11, 2012

Joyous/Organization

Okay-right up front I will tell you there are several area's where I struggle here. I am not an expert, but I will share what works for me, plus there will be lots of info on some web sites, books, and resources that have helps for you and me.

Quote; Organize yourselves; aprepare every needful thing, and establish a house, even a bhouse of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house ofcorder, a dhouse of God;


One place to start in Organizing Ourselves is to have a plan or schedule if you will. Life is full of so much to do, and we cannot get it all done in one day. So how do we divide all of these responsibilities, or things that need to get done, in a week.


Creation Schedule: My youngest sister came across this idea a few years ago and presented it to me. I took this on to help me be a starting point in being more organized with my time. Basically, you break down the week according to the order the earth was created. There is more than one version, and I chose the one represented in a sacred place.


Monday: Organize Matter
Schedules for the week
Plan menu
Grocery list


When our family has a lot going on, it's good to correlate schedules, so there are few surprises. It's good to have a calendar, where everyone can see it. Each person has a colored pen, family and general gets black. Work schedules, activities, lessons, school happenings, whatever is needed to be kept track of goes on the calendar and by simply seeing the color indicated who the activity was for.


A great resource for a calendar is Organize It Mom.com They have a new website, and are offering a coupon for 10% off everything except shipping. (I will be featuring her a lot in future posts, so keep your eyes open).


I plan my meals by what I have on hand. I get paid my house hold money on Wednesday, and I should have on hand from the shopping all I need for the week. I like the Food Nanny's approach on planning ahead, but I personally cannot do two weeks ahead. She suggest each night having a theme. She also has lots of wonderful recipes (I am a recipe junkie) or you can put in your own to fit.


Grocery list: Is made by looking at ads and making my menu by what is on sale. Make a list of all you will need to make the planned meals and treats. I also make a list of non-food items needed. "Limit how much you go to the store during the week. If you need to go, be firm with yourself so you stay on budget and don't walk out with more than you went in for.


Tuesday: Divide water from firmament
Laundry day
Sewing/Mending


Laundry day is a stay at home most of the day, day for me. That way I sort the laundry, and when each load is done, I am there to get it taken care of. I wash mine and my husbands things, towels, and often Charly's things. My boys do there own. I keep myself busy in between loads, by sewing and mending, or if there is none, make bread and other prep items in my kitchen. 


I found a recipe on making my own laundry soap that I use:


Dugger Laundry Soap (19 Kids and Counting fame)


1 bar Fels Naptha
1 c. washing soda (not baking soda, found on laundry isle)
1/2 c. Borax


My processor had the chopping blade and the grating blade fits on top so I can grate and chop at the same time.


Grate the bar, then mix with the powders. Use 2 Tablespoons for regular load and 1 Tablespoon for light.


For my whites I also add Mrs. Stewart's Liquid Bluing. When a little bluing is added to the last rinse water, whites come out looking much whiter. This is due to the sunlight reflecting back from the blue, giving the illusion of whiteness. Bluing is especially helpful to use with homemade laundry soap which lacks the many additives found in commercial products.
Here's a recipe to make your own if you would like.


Bluing
1 ounce Prussian Blue powder (available from the pharmacy)
1/2 ounce powdered oxalic acid (available from the pharmacy)
1 quart soft, or distilled water.
Mix together and store on the laundry shelf.
found in:

Feed a Family of Four for As Low As $10 Per Week: And Enjoy a Nibble of Independence [Paperback] by Marlynn Phipps (sorry no image)


You can also  find recipes for homemade Oxiclean, prewash or Spray and wash and other things to aid in laundry costs (sorry this is typing like this, I don't know why it doing this and I don't know how to get it to stop)

Wednesday: Seasons/Night and Day
Grocery Shopping
Errands

Yes this is the day I try to get all of my shopping done as well as other errands that need to get done. That way i am not runnings errand everyday and I am able to get other things done.

Wednesday is also the day most grocery stores start their new ads

Thursday: Earth Grass, Plants
Gardening
Mow Lawns/Trim/rake
Clean out cars
Wash cars

If you are able to only do gardening on one day, here you go. and it doesn't have to be on saturday.

Friday: Animals and Creatures to Mutliply
Service
Letters to Missionaries

Of course you should do service everyday, but this is a good day to prepare and get things together. Make cards, make a plan, make copies.

I like House of Order.com. (sorry no pic) She has some great ideas on stocking up so your are ready when the need arises.

Of course, as a mother of a missionary, I would highly suggest writing to the missionaries in your ward and or family.

Saturday: Man and Woman
Family

If you get the things done during the week to where you just need to do a little to get ready for Sunday, then the rest of the day can be spent on family. Go on a picnic, to a water park, a hike or bike ride. Whatever you do, make most of the day for the family.

Sunday: Day of Rest
Worship the Lord thy God

With things done, it is a lot easier to relax on sunday rather than feeling like it is another work day. A day of rest as it should be.

Okay-that was A lot for one post. i'll let you catch your breath, let you salivate and get ready for my next post on organization.





No comments:

Post a Comment